The Sensitivity Handbook: Training Materials for Developing Balanced Sensitivity
Revised February 2003
Part I: Dealing Constructively with Sensitivity Issues
Exercise 2a: Quieting the Mind
1. While looking at magazine photos first of an anonymous man, then of a woman, a boy, a girl, and an elderly couple
- Consciously reaffirm the decision to quiet your mind
- Breathe normally with a three-part cycle of exhalation, rest, and inhalation
- Look at the photos, one at a time, and while exhaling, imagine that any verbal thoughts, mental
stories, mental movies, upsetting emotions, or feelings of dullness that arise leave with your
breath – either by visualizing the mental object as a cloud temporarily obscuring the clear sky of
your mind, or by dispensing with a graphic representation
- Breathe out paranoia about extraneous mental activity recurring and the mental tension for thoughts, images, or disturbing feelings to arise at all
- Maintain focus by listening to the group facilitator occasionally saying the key phrase "let go," or by sometimes saying it silently to yourself
- Pause briefly
- Look once more at the photos, one at a time, and feel each word of any verbal thought or mental
story that arises to be occurring as if through a process of writing on water – arising and
- Feel any mental movie, upsetting emotion, or daze that arises to be appearing as if through a process of momentarily projecting a picture on water
- Maintain focus by using the key phrase "writing on water"
- Pause briefly
- Look again at the photos, one at a time, and apply first the letting-go procedure for releasing
any extraneous mental objects that arise, and then the writing-on-water method for more persistent
- If repressed emotions of sadness, anxiety, insecurity, or fear suddenly arise, feel the wave of emotion pass like a swell on the ocean and then feel it is gone
- Maintain focus by using the key phrases
- "let go"
- "writing on water"
- "swell on the ocean"
- Once you have achieved a quiet mental space, breathe normally while gazing at the photos with an objective, accepting mind
2. Apply the combined method of letting go, writing on water, and an ocean swell, while focusing on a photo or on a thought of a mere acquaintance
3. Repeat the procedure while focusing on a photo or on a thought of someone with whom you have or have had a warm and loving relationship involving few regrets
4. Repeat the procedure while focusing on a photo or on a thought of a loud, overbearing relative who perhaps pries too strongly into your life, but who has not actually hurt you
1. Repeat the procedure while focusing on the group facilitator
- While he or she sits still
- While he or she gets up and walks around
1. Repeat the procedure while looking at your hands
2. Repeat the procedure while looking in a mirror
3. Repeat the procedure while looking at two photographs of yourself from different periods in the past, one at a time
Join us in trying to benefit others.
Support our work!
This website relies completely on donations. Its maintenance, preparation of the remaining 70% of our planned material, and further translating is costly. Although we currently have 80 volunteers, 23 essential team members require payment. Help us raise the 100,000 euros (US $150,000) required each year
to continue providing our website free of charge.
Reaching Our Goal (05%)